A monument to Constantine Phipps, the one who was Lord Chancellor of Ireland, has been reported in various sources as erected in the parish church at White Waltham.
The parish Church of St. Mary dates, in part, back to the Norman period, although some parts were rebuilt in 1868. Constantine Phipps was buried in 1723 at the church.
The marble Constantine Phipps monument is located on the north wall, under the tower.
It is said that Prince Arthur, the son of Henry VII, lived in an earlier manor house, surrounded by a moat, at White Waltham. Some of the countryside, from White Waltham to London, can be seen in this video:
- Church of St. Mary (Historic England)
- Dod, Robert Phipps, “Sir Constantine Phipps and Sir William Phips,” The Gentleman’s Magazine and Historical Review (London), January 1854, pp. 46-48
- “Excursion of the Society to Maidenhead,” The Quarterly Journal of the Berks Archaeological and Architectural Society, Vol. 2, No. 4, January 1892, p. 75
- Hearne, Thomas, Remarks and Collections of Thomas Hearne, Vol. 8, Oxford, Oxford Historical Society, 1907, p. 126
- Heath, Chris, Denby & District: Chronicles of Clerics, Convicts, Corn Millers & Comedians, Barnsley, South Yorkshire: Wharncliffe Books, 2009, p. 44
- John Sawyer (1685-1750), of Heywood, White Waltham, Berks. (The History of Parliament)
- The Journey-Book of England: Berkshire: Including a Full Description of Windsor Castle, London: Charles Knight & Company, 1840, p. 69
- Kelly’s Directory of Berkshire, London: Kelly & Company, 1883, p. 153
- Lysons, Daniel, and Samuel Lysons, Magna Britannia: Being a Concise Topographical Account of the Several Counties of Great Britain, Vol. 1, Part 2: Berkshire, London: T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1813, p. 405
- Parishes: White Waltham (British History Online)
- Oliver, Vere Langford, ed., “Phipps of St. Kitts,” Caribbeana: Being Miscellaneous Papers Relating to the History, Genealogy, Topography, and Antiquities of the British West Indies, Vol. 1, London: Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, 1910, pp. 67-76, at p. 70
- Phipps, Pownoll W., The Life of Colonel Pownoll Phipps with Family Records, London: Richard Bentley and Son, 1894, p. 2
- St. Mary, White Waltham, Berkshire (The Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain & Ireland)
- White Waltham (Genuki)
- White Waltham (Wikipedia)
- White Waltham Church (Shottesbrooke and White Waltham Churches)
- White Waltham Parish Wards (White Waltham Parish)
- White Waltham St. Mary, White Waltham (The Church of England)
- White Waltham with Shottesbrooke, Berkshire Genealogy (Family Search Wiki)