Several documents pertain to Philip Phippe, also known as Phyppe, in connection with the manor of Timperley. This location receives various spellings, such as Tymperlegh, Tympurlegh, etc.
The documents pertaining to Phyppe or Phippe date from the 45th and 48th years of Edward III’s reign. These years would have apparently been 1371-2 and 1374-5. Timperley is fairly close to the city of Manchester, and is today a village in the borough of Trafford in what today is known as the county of Greater Manchester. Earlier, however, this was the county of Cheshire.
A letter of attorney is extant, dated the Saturday after St. Philip and St. James the Apostles, 45 Edward III. This is from William, who was the son of Richard de Bulkylegh of Chedle, to William de Bulkylegh of Chorlegh.
The letter directed William to deliver “seisin” of the manor of “Tympurlegh” to Philip Phippe according to his charter. Seisin refers to gaining legal possession of an estate.
This charter was presumably that referred to earlier (Saturday after the apostles Philip and James, 45 Edward III) as a grant by William, son of Richard de Bulkylegh of Chedle, to Philip Phyppe. This gave him the manor of “Tymperlegh.”
Then another record (Chester, Thursday before St. George the Martyr, 48 Edward III), is a feoffment. This is a type of deed in which someone who has pledged service is given land in exchange.
In this case, it’s a feoffment by William de Bulkilegh, as rector of the church of Chedle, and Richard de Okelegh, chaplain, to several chaplains including Henry del Scoles and John Gamel. This gave them “all the lands and tenements in Tymperlegh, with woods and commons, &c. thereto belonging which they had by the gift and feoffment of Philip Phippe.”
The surname “de Bulkilegh” or “de Bulkylegh” is presumably the same as Bulkeley or Bulkley, which name later surfaces in New England. In particular, Peter Bulkley was a well known Puritan who left England for Massachusetts because of his religious beliefs.
The earliest records of Timperley Hall, as a moated manor house, date back to 1560, which of course postdates Philip Phyppe or Phippe. The house was doubtless built to replace an earlier structure at the same site, however. Little of it remains today. (A Timperley so-called “New” Hall was built in the 18th century.) Archaeological excavations suggest continuous occupation from the 14th century, presumably from the days of Phyppe.
- Deeds: A.8501-A.8600 (British History Online)
- A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds in the Public Record Office, Volume 4 (Google Books; see at 6636, 7547, and 8526)
- Lysons, Daniel, Magna Brittannia, Vol. 2, Part 2, London, 1810, p. 515
- Timperley (The Historical Gazetteer of England’s Place Names)