We received word of a Phipps reunion, to be held July 19, 2015 in Independence, Grayson County, Virginia. Note that this is not the only Phipps reunion, and that it was established a number of years ago for descendants of several Phips, Fips, Phipps, etc. men who were assumed at the time to be brothers.
The reunion should be relevant to anyone interested in the history of the family which can be traced back to the general vicinity of Ashe County, North Carolina and Grayson County, Virginia. Of course, it should be noted that some descendants migrated into other nearby counties (Wise County, Virginia is one that immediately springs to mind), and part of Ashe County, North Carolina later became Alleghany County, North Carolina.
Dear Phipps Family, Cousins and Friends:
You are invited to the 2015 PHIPPS Reunion!
Date and location:
- Sunday, July 19, 2015, 11 am–3 pm
- VFW Post 7726 Meeting Room, 115 Klondike Road, Independence, Grayson County, Virginia 24348, 276-773-3951
- The VFW, with lots of parking space, is near the NC state line and 15 minutes from Sparta, Caroline County, Virginia
Schedule of Events:
- 11 am Out of towners and others may arrive to meet and greet
- 12 pm–1 pm Register, food set up, meet and greet
- 1 pm–2 pm lunch
- 1 pm-3 pm Latest family updates, discussion of Phipps Vietnam veterans, latest Phipps DNA results, memorial to those we lost in 2014-2015
- Prizes and games
- As you arrive please sign in, pick up your family packet, offer yearly donation (we suggest $3 per adult) and update your emailing/mailing information.
- Please bring a covered main dish and/or veggie and/or dessert.
All beverages, plates, napkins, cups and silverware are supplied.
- Introduction of all attendees and their families.
- Please bring your pictures and stories for this past year.
New babies, grads, marriages, big bdays, big annivs.!
Discussion on the history of the Phipps family:
- Focusing this year on Vietnam Phipps experiences (last year we did WWII). Please bring your pictures and stories.
- History game/contest for children, with prizes.
- Missing cousin/relatives found. Please bring your stories and photos.
- In memoriam. Please bring us the memories of your loved ones who have left us 2014-2015.
- Faraway cousins: Please bring their stories and pictures.
- Poster boards of family lines and pictures on display. Bring your own, too!
- Phipps authors and their books! Please bring yours.
- Prizes for oldest, youngest, furthest travel, most family members attending in one family, cousins who are a Phipps the most times (our record is 3 so far!)
- Please join us for the fun and honoring our ancestors!
Phipps cemetery/old Phipps home sites visits:
- We can arrange a free tour for your family.
- Please call Carole with any questions at 336-372-4454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We suggest the Grayson Inn, Independence, Grayson County, Virginia: 276-773-3313 or 877-467-7144